Monday 15 October 2007

Joys of Journeys

Here I am back again. Literally time is flying it feels like only days since I was last here but it's ten! My weeks are so busy. I work mon-fri and in the evenings sometimes I don't like to sit at my computer after spending the day at work at a desk and computer I like to relax in the evenings, well I say relax mostly I am running up my phone bill hahahaha gossiping away! But every evening I like to come home make nice dinner and have a long bath and sometimes after doing that it's already nearly time for bed!. So after tonight's post I have decided my blog will be my weekend blog. This way I will enjoy it more and have the time to write.
....................
Last weekend I was with my Dad, it was a bit of a quick weekend up there but albeit lovely (apart from the nightmare Journey home - details to follow!). I went up to Carlisle very early on the Saturday morning on the 6am train and was with my Dad by 11am :) I spent the afternoon with him and went for a walk round the village and walked along side the river and down near the local church (along one of Daisy's favourite paths). In the evening I went into town to meet my friend Lyndsay at a new Thai restaurant hmmmmmm it was delicious!
Above is a pic of me and my Dad, it was actually taken the last time I was home but I just popped it up here today. I was in a bit of a silly mood when I took this and I think my dads face says it all! I can just see him saying 'ok I'll just ignore her and maybe she'll stop being silly!' that's why he's not looking at my camera!
While I was back I took a picture of this little lovely above. This is Ziggy a friend of my cat Lucky's'. If you remember I posted the story of Lucky a while back.
....................
On the Sunday I again spent the morning with my Dad then headed to my Grandma's and spent the afternoon with her before going off to the station to get the train back to London where possibly one of the longest journeys began!
....................
Usually a train journey London to Carlisle and vice versa can be done in 3 hours and 15 minutes. At the weekends they can take up to six hours as they detour due to engineering works on the tracks. I was prepared for the six hour journey not a problem. I always travel with books and this time I had my laptop so could even pop in my headphones and watch a DVD!
....................
The train left at 16:45 and was due to get in to London at 22:55. Not a problem Tubes run until approx just after midnight so I'd catch a tube from Central London back to Harrow where I live no problem.... Or so i Thought. 21:00 and we were approaching Birmingham where we stopped. People began to talk 'hmmm this isn't a scheduled stop why have we stopped here?' Then an announcement something along the lines of track problems and we'd be here a while!. TWO HOURS LATER we left Birmingham and got into London at 00:35. Yes too late for the tube but that wasn't the only problem. behind ourselves at Birmingham many trains had reached the problem track spot over the two hour wait and all the trains were queued behind each other. This meant seven trains approached London Euston station together. Seven full trains between 1215-1300 all full with passengers who had expected to get the tube home. BUT OBVIOUSLY NO TUBES NOW IT WAS TOO LATE. There was announcement that taxis would be provided to our chosen destination free of charge, just to make our way to the foyer of the station where to pick up a form to hand to the taxi drivers so we didn't have to pay. All sounded too good to be true. To cut a long story short I picked up the form from the chaotic queues then queued until 0300 am for my taxi! We were put into groups of areas in which we lived so had detour a bit before getting to mine and eventually got home at 0400am!!!!!! I had to get up at 0630 for work! So all in all it took me just a little less than twelve hours to travel approx 400miles! Crazy when you consider only five months ago I flew to Jamaica in nine hours!
....................

On a lighter happier note here is me being silly with my corn at a restaurant last week with my girlie friends! My conjunctivitis has cleared up, but my Doctor advised not to wear my Contact lenses till I get new ones as the infection may start again if I wear the sames ones. So here I am sporting my intellectual look in my glasses. Yes the picture is not too clear not too sure what my friend T did with the camera but I thought it gave a funky effect!
This is T enjoying her chips
And this is my two friends Iffy and Geri

..................

Well I'm off to visit you all now and I'll be back at the weekend when it will only be one week till my Cornwall trip!

xx

8 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I feel like I could just reach into the computer and give your Dad a big hug!
gawd, what a trip you had back to home.. you were half way to Australia! I think the flight from there to here is around 23 hours..
oh Lydia, my heart will surely be with you as you make your way to Cornwall.... xoxo

Julie said...

I hope you make it to Iceland one day. My friend Barb, who is a reading teacher, attended a reading conference in Iceland. She brought back many slides. I had not thought it would be an interesting place to go but after seeing her pictures and hearing her stories I think it would be fun.

Am looking forward to hearing about your trip to Cornwall. I hope the weather will be nice while you are there.

Julie

gma said...

Getting excited for you about your trip to Cornwall....that will be so wonderful. Take lots of pictures, and have lots of fun!!!!
Meanwhile
Have a good week.
Don't work too hard,
;-)

Sheila said...

What a long journey. I know it sometimes takes us longer to get out of the airport than the flight from where ever we've been...but 12 hours..Wow.!
Like the other gals, I look forward to the account of your trip to Cornwall. We will be with you in spirit Sweetpea..
hugs
xox

KaiBlue said...

LOL, well I have to laugh a little, having ridden on British rail and had the same thing, complete with detour, mad bus dashes, taxis and a large gentleman of two-three seat size..
On a better note, enjoy cornwall!! My sister works at the Eden project this weekend, so if you're there..Her name is Lorna.. She was with me when we met Daisy this past March.. :)

I think your weather looks good..
Peace, Kai xx

Bimbimbie said...

What a nightmare train ride home, you must have slept really well the following night you poor thing.

It will be a distant memory once you get to Cornwall *!*

Tinker said...

Twelve hours! Whew~what a journey that must have been! Don't know how you managed work the next day, on top of it all, with only 2 hours of sleep...though I do remember a few nights like that - back when I was much younger, don't think I could do it now.

What a cute picture of you and your dad! Love the photo of you with your corn, too - somehow the effect fits the whole experience of eating corn on the cob perfectly.

Hope you're having a wonderful week - look forward to seeing you on the weekend~xox

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thank-you for sharing your trip to your home village.
Love the photo of you and your dad (who is trying to ignore you!). Hope you have new contacts and are also rested after that awful train trip home!