Sunday 9 September 2007

Seven weeks to go

Seven weeks yesterday I am off to Cornwall. I am very excited. It will be a different trip to the ones in my past, some times it may be emotional and sad but it will be for a good reason. My Dad, brother and I are going, we are going to take Daisy's ashes here she and my Dad had discussed this where they finally want to be and we will bring this wish true for her. We are off to Penzance and have a cottage for a week.
....................
I will share some pictures of Cornwall
Above is a street called Chapel Street with a delightful cafe I remember being ten years old here with Daisy where we would always order their exquisite chocolate cake! I hope they still do it!!!

Above is a street in Penzance called Morrab Road, we used to stay just just close to here when I was young. Just at the bottom of this road are some delightful public gardens. We have many pictures of Daniel and I in these gardens being silly (one of our specialities when we were younger on holiday)



Above is a pub that is on the street I showed above (Chapel Street), This pub does the most wonderful meals and has won gourmet awards it gets so busy you have to book your table - for a pub meal!! I have told my Dad the week before we go I'll ring up and book us in for our first night

Above is St Michael's Mount I can't wait to go here, it's a little island just off the beach. I went to wikipedia to get some info on it....

..................


St Michael's Mount (Cornish name: Carrack Looz en Cooz) is a lofty pyramidal tidal island, exhibiting a curious combination of slate and granite, rising 400 yards (366 m) from the shore of Mount's Bay, situated in Penwith in west Cornwall, England, United Kingdom, in the extreme south western peninsula of the island of Great Britain. It is united with Marazion by a natural causeway cast up by the sea and passable only at low tide.
Its Cornish language name — literally, "the grey rock in the wood" — may represent a folk memory of a time before Mount's Bay was flooded. Certainly, the Cornish name would be an accurate description of the Mount set in woodland. Remains of trees have been seen at low tides following storms on the beach at Perranuthnoe. The Cornish legend of Lyonesse, an ancient kingdom said to have extended from Penwith toward the Isles of Scilly, also talks of land being inundated by the sea.
Historically, St Michael's Mount was a Cornish counterpart of Mont Saint Michel in Normandy, France.
St Michael's Mount is known colloquially by locals as simply the Mount.

....................

Above is the French St Michael's Mount in Normandy, I am lucky enough to have been here too! I went when I was twelve on a school trip to France.

....................

So today my head is full of Cornwall I'm planning what we will do and how we will spend the days! I hope everyone is having a nice weekend

xxx

8 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

some of my ancestors come from Penwith! others come from Bodmin Moor and a few other places I can't remember.
oh & a big ask - can you get me some brochures of places to stay when you are in Cornwall? I would love to be able to stay somewhere that your mum loved and I will have chocolate cake too!
sending big, big hugs to you xo
and my favourite saying right now - Namaste xo

KaiBlue said...

I love my birthplace, I was lucky to have been born in Cornwall. I think your mum was too in spirit.
When you go there, the place will get into your soul to Lydia, and you'll want to go back, over and over.
Thankyou for sharing the photos. You'll love St Michaels mount, the causeway is fun to walk across!! just watch the tides!!
PEace n hugs, Kai xx

Julie said...

Hi, Sweetpea,

I have read many books about Cornwall, including those by Daphne duMaurier and Rosamunde Pilcher. It always sounded so wonderful. Thank you for sharing your photos.

I hope you have a great time when you are there and not be too sad about Daisy. Instead I hope it brings back good memories of your Mum. Sounds like it already has! I love chocolate cake!

Lila Rostenberg said...

What lovely photos and memories for you! thnaks for sharing! I think I'll have some chocolate cake too! I'm off to clean and tidy my mom's house now! (Cake would be a nice reward!)

Tinker said...

Cornwall - what a fascinating and lovely place! I remember Daisy's posts about visiting it and how much she said she loved it there. Though there may be sad moments during your stay, I'm sending wishes for you and your family that there will be many new happy memories made during your visit, too ~ XOXO

Gill said...

I know you will love it there. Many bloggers I know, (Look up!!!)
adore Cornwall.
The photos look amazing, and how nice that you will take your mums ashes there. My thoughts are with you on your trip.
xo
Blue

gma said...

So glad to hear that you are taking Daisy to Cornwall. Make sure you let us know the time/details so we can light candles and eat chocolate cake in her memory.
xx

Sheila said...

Cornwall has such an 'other worldly' feel to it. I think that is what drew Daisy to it.
It is fitting she should make her final trip to the place she so loved. Make sure to let us know when you go, so we can be with you in spirit.
Hugs
xx