Tuesday 28 August 2007

Stories from the North

Let me tell you all about my time back home and what I got up to. I travelled up on Friday morning. When I left London the weather was miserable I was dressed appropriately in a jumper. As I the train travelled further and further up North I noticed something unusual. The weather seemed to be getting better the further we went! Anyway I arrived at Carlisle around midday to find it was a gorgeous sunny day. I left the station and felt so silly wandering round in a jumper everyone was in t shirts and vests! I met my friend and her sister for lunch their first words were 'Lydia why on earth do you have a jumper on and where are your sunglasses?' LOL. It turned out to be a beautiful weekend for the sunshine, I think for a lot of the country actually. Which was nice as this summer hasn't been too great sunshine wise! Only last week I was huddled on the sofa in big fluffy socks and a huge jumper to be warm! In August!!!
....................
We had a lovely lunch together Nachos with lots of toppings and dips. Then we wandered round the centre of Carlisle. As it was a Bank Holiday the continental market was visiting. This is a wonderful market with a variety of stalls selling all kinds of plants, foods and crafts. Daisy always visited the plant man at this market when it came to town!
....................
After this lovely afternoon in town (which I paid for - tell you later) I got on the bus to see my daddy. I arrived at the house and gave my Dad the biggest hug ever so much it filled my eyes with tears. The rest of Friday was spent at home with my Dad chatting and planning our trip to Cornwall in October.

Saturday Morning I woke up early and headed into town to the hairdressers. I had rang them earlier in the week to make an appointment when I was in London. Cheekily I get my hair done up North, MUCH CHEAPER THAN LONDON PRICES! The girl who does my hair is a brilliant hairdresser I went to school with her and of all my friends I think I'm the only one who will say they've never had a haircut they've disliked! I let her test new techniques and colours on me even sometimes I trust her completely! It was nice we had a good catch-up. She was even fully booked but when I mentioned my name she said no problems she'd squeeze me in. Well it turned out someone cancelled so she had more time with me.
After the hair I headed back to my Dad again. Still sunny I sat in the garden (various pics throughout), I will admit I'm not too full of knowledge on the garden so can't name what is in the pictures! I will learn though.
Saturday evening I caught up with some old friends I went to school with this was great, much reminiscing of our school days and much giggling!
Sunday I spent the morning with Daddy again giving him a computer lesson. It's a long running joke in my family how he and technology don't mix! He's getting there though and I think next time he'll be flying and I'll get him properly into emails! Sunday afternoon I headed to my Grandma's and spent the afternoon with her we looked at lots of pictures I had been going through and chatted for a few hours. After this I then went for 'coffee' with my closest friend up North before heading back to the station to catch the train back down to London. I say 'coffee' as I don't actually drink it but often go to coffee shops with friends, I find it easier than saying ' let's meet up, you for a coffee and I for another Beverage!'
I said I would tell you what I paid for didn't I? Well Friday afternoon walking round town I still had my bags with me VERY HEAVY Lydia fails to travel lightly! Well after this few hours my shoulder ached the whole weekend!
....................
It was a beautiful journey back on Sunday evening. Getting darker as the journey went on I was sat in the window seat of the train where I watched the moon for the almost the length of the Country!
....................
Look who it is at the computer he he he he

Here are two pictures of the ones I looked at with my Grandma, these were of some of Daisy's favourites, Daniel and I.

Daniel and I at christmas.
A reoccurring theme through many childhood pictures of Daniel and I is that I always had to copy him! here in this one it's the hat! others which I'll share at later dates I copy what his hands are doing, I copy what his head is doing! As my older brother I always saw Daniel as the fountain of all knowledge...........even if I was a little gullible and believed anything and everything he told me! Which he became wise to and realised he could make anything up! Which he did which often provided mum and dad with much comedy as I recited what I thought were truths!
....................
Off to bed for me shortly I am feeling tired today and have been missing Daisy quite a lot the past few days. Probably as I was home in her place. I don't usually share these feelings in my blog but felt I would today after the post details so much of her garden, Daniel and I and the beloved Continental Market!
...................
Hope everyone enjoys their week
xxx

7 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

hey sweet-pea! it is so normal to miss your Mum, it really is. Just go with your emotions, there is not an award for being brave xoxo

thankyou so much for sharing some photos of her garden..
Here is a list of what I think the plants are...
1. her petunias and I think the little blue flower in front could be lobelia
2. geraniums and impatiens
3. windflowers
4. perennial phlox ( I think it is however I could be mistaken) if it is phlox, then this is her favourite white one.. she told me about it awhile ago
5. perennial phlox and gladiolus.

it is good to hear that you had such a good time, catching up with friends and seeing your grandma xoxo
sending bright blessings & some 'daisy' magick to help your sad heart xoxo

KaiBlue said...

I laughing at your Dad on the compie.. He looks like mine.. :) Im SO glad you had a good trip. My Dad said it was cold there in Yorkshire where he lives, like the weather is topsy turvy or something..

Love the pics of you and Daniel!
PEace n hugs, Kai xx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I delighted you had such a good weekend home. Catching up with old friends, having a giggle is so essential. I am sure you dear Dad is always happy and pleased when you arrive. How cute he's learning the computer...you never know he could end up with a blog one day!
Daisy's garden looks lovely and you can tell it's being tended. I know you miss her, you will miss her forever and it's ok to say so. Those photos of you and Daniel are adorable...reasons to definitely smile and remember!
Wow, long comment here!
THanks for sharing your weekend and the photos!!
XOXOXO
Love and hugs,
Lisa

gma said...

Sweetpea...Your Mom told me about the continental market. In fact she sent me some soap from Provence she got there. How great to see the beautiful flowers in her garden. Daisy loved you so much,that is why we are all here for you darling sweetpea!
xx sending love!

Tinker said...

The garden looks so beautiful, and the photos of you and your brother are just adorable! As is the photo of your dad on the computer - reminds me of K. (my husband) when he's trying to figure out how to do something on the computer.
I remember when my mom passed, that sometimes the missing would just overwhelm me at times - and though I still miss her, it has gotten easier as time's gone on - I hope you don't mind me saying this, I just wanted to share that with you, because that first year for me, I really couldn't concieve that - it seemed life might always be so sad. I didn't forget her or stop missing her, but it has gotten less intensely painful as time's gone on.
Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos - I'm glad you had such a good visit with family and friends! ((hugs))

Julie said...

Hello, Lydia,

Hope you don't mind me calling 'round now and then. I think of you as a sort of girl who would be one of my daughter's friends (close to her age) and I always tried to keep track of her pals. And of course, being Daisy's daughter you are special to me.

I am glad you had a good time at home. I am sorry you lost your mum at such a young age (I was 33 but that was still to young.) I am glad you have such good memories of her. I feel that ANY time you lose your mom, you are an orphan, but to be in your early 20s must be really heartbreaking. Anyway, sorry to be so maudlin. You have your Dad, and he sounds great.

Keep going home, it is what keeps you grounded.

Julie

Lila Rostenberg said...

Sweetpea, it is so wonderful to see the photos from your trip home!
Thank-you for sharing them!
I really like the "voice" you write in, very sincere and patient with us! (It's cute when you explain that you aren't a coffee drinker, even when meeting friends for "coffee"! Glad you got to see your grandmother and found the photos of your childhood!
Have a good week!